Stribildis a prescription medicine that is used without other antiretroviral medicines to treat Human Immunodeficiency Virus-1 (HIV-1) in adults who have never taken HIV-1 medicines before. HIV-1 is the virus that causes AIDS (Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome). Stribild contains the prescription medicines elvitegravir, cobicistat, emtricitabine (Emtriva®) and tenofovir disoproxil fumarate.
If you fall under the below Categories Stribild in not for you, so Do not take Stribild if you also take a medicine that contains:
- alfuzosin hydrochloride (Uroxatral)
- cisapride (Propulsid, Propulsid Quicksolv)
- lovastatin (Advicor, Altoprev, Mevacor)
- oral midazolam
- pimozide (Orap)
- rifampin (Rifadin, Rifamate, Rifater, Rimactane)
- sildenafil (Revatio), when used for treating the lung problem, pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH)
- simvastatin (Simcor, Vytorin, Zocor)
- triazolam (Halcion)
- St. John’s wort (Hypericum perforatum) or a product that contains St. John’s wort
- ergot-containing medicines, including:
- Reduce the amount of HIV-1 in your blood. This is called “viral load”.
- Increase the number of CD4+ (T) cells in your blood that help fight off other infections.
- Reduce the amount of HIV-1 and increasing the CD4+ (T) cells in your blood may help improve your immune system. This may reduce your risk of death or getting infections that can happen when your immune system is weak (opportunistic infections).
- Do not share or re-use needles or other injection equipment.
- Do not share personal items that can have blood or body fluids on them, like toothbrushes and razor blades.
- Do not have any kind of sex without protection. Always practice safer sex by using a latex or polyurethane condom to lower the chance of sexual contact with semen, vaginal secretions, or blood.